Consider these examples from a typical, large suburban high school.
- Kelly is a sophomore who attends a meeting of the all-male robotics club. She says she has an interest in joining the club and working on building a robot for an upcoming competition. The male members of the club snicker at her and one boy puts his foot out and â€œaccidentlyâ€ trips Kelly in the aisle. The male teacher in the room tells the boys to settle down, but he also tells Kelly that he isnâ€t sure she would have the necessary skills for the club, since the other members have all had several years experience building robots. â€œAfter all,â€ he said, â€œyou were probably playing with dolls for all the years these boys were building things and experimenting with electronics.â€
- John is an artistic, intelligent boy who is not interested in sports or other â€œtypicalâ€ male pursuits. He enjoys writing fiction and poetry for the school newspaper. When he gets on the school bus no one will share a seat with him. He ends up standing and a group of students in the back of the bus harass and heckle him, calling him homophobic slurs.
- In the teachersâ€ lounge, a group of Caucasian teachers huddle around the water cooler gossiping about why one of their fellow teachers, an Asian-American woman, was promoted to assistant principle over other teachers with more years of experience. â€œI know she has a masterâ€s degree, but I still think this is clearly an affirmative action thingâ€”they just want to get more minorities in administration. They donâ€t care about who is really qualified, and thatâ€s all there is to it.â€
Select one of the examples above that you feel illustrates prejudiced attitudes. Answer the following:
- What elements of this scenario make it an example of prejudice?
- Is there also discrimination present?
- Is there stereotyping in this example?
- Explain why the predjudice is occurring using the following terms: Social categorization, in-group, out-group, and ingroup-bias.
- Based on your readings, what type of intervention could help to reduce prejudice in a situation like this?
Please be sure you address each question, using terms and concepts from your text. A good initial discussion response should be at least 150â€“250 words in length. In order to earn full credit for participation, you must respond to two or more classmates in a substantive manner before the end of the module.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post Consider these examples from a typical, large suburban high school. Kelly is a sophomore who attends a meeting of the all-male… appeared first on The Nursing TermPaper.