Assignment: Data Driven Decision Making
As a health care leader you will be responsible for not only the acquisition planning and management of HIT solutions but also for strategies to manage the different types of data acquired by these technologies. The aim for today’s health care leaders is to effectively plan making evidence-based decisions using data acquired through the use of HIT systems.
For this Assignment, you will evaluate the expansion of United General Hospital’s intensive care unit (ICU). You will create a detailed presentation with comprehensive presenter notes that explain each slide for United General’s CEO and board of directors.
Read the United General Hospital ICU Expansion Case Study in your Learning Resources and prepare a PowerPoint presentation (16 slides minimum, with no more than 20 slides excluding your references) that will guide the CEO and board of directors to follow the recommendation(s) presented to expand the hospital’s ICU unit. Keep in mind that this presentation would be delivered within a one hour time slot in a board of director’s meeting, whereby you want to allow approximately 2 minutes per slide for presentation delivery and allow time for questions. As you complete the assessment, remember the following:
- The presentation should include the elements necessary to effectively communicate the data used to develop the business case.
- A specific statement of the clinical and financial data types involved in the business case should be included.
- The presentation should provide a clear evidence-based, data-driven recommendation(s) regarding the expansion of the hospital’s ICU.
- The presentation should provide an opportunity statement that presents the problem, the recommendation presented to solve the problem, and the multiple options considered.
- The presentation should take into account the needs of the community, the patients, the hospital, and investors when researching and presenting your findings.
- The presentation should offer alternative methods of data management such as cloud-based storage and the possible use of Application Service Provider (ASP) HIT models.
Your presentation should include the following:
Introduction (5–6 slides)
Explain the importance of evidence-based decision making in health care. Discuss how this evidence applies to patient care outcomes, financial outcomes, competitive advantage, and organizational transparency. Your slides must include:
- A definition of evidence-based decision making.
- An explanation of the relevance of evidence-based decision making in the health care industry.
- A clearly defined the problem you intend to solve through the use of evidence-based decision making.
- A description of the types of HIT systems that recommend to support decision making.
Recommendation & Rationale (8–11 slides)
Using the data provided, analyze the current and future state of the ICU. Consider three scenarios for the future state, one without additional beds and two with additional beds. Based on your research and analysis, determine two viable scenarios for bed count and present these scenarios. Use graphics, text, and charts as required.
The slides and presenter notes should include:
- An overview of three options for the ICU that you analyzed. The presenter notes should provide a 2- to 3-paragraph analysis of the three options, using academic resources to support your options.
- A description of how each option will address the issues in the ICU. The presenter should provide 2- to 3-paragraph detailed explanation of how each option will address the issues in the ICU.
- A final recommendation for one of the options and an explanation of why it will maximize the benefits to the hospital, patients, and community.
- A detailed rationale justifying your recommendation.
- A graphic comparison between the current state of the ICU vs. the remote monitoring ICU implementation in 5 years. The presenter notes should include a detailed explanation of the graphic.
- An explanation of the impact of your recommendation on staffing, productivity, competitiveness, and finances, using appropriate qualitative and quantitative data to support your explanation. The presenter notes should include an explanation regarding how the data supports your explanation.
Knowing that United General’s leadership team focuses on evidence-based decision making, address the following, in 3–4 slides:
- Summarize the evidence used in developing the opportunity statement and recommendation.
- Describe why each piece of evidence is relevant to patients, the community, and the hospital.
- Summarize the analysis used to create the recommendation.
- Evaluate the validity and reliability of the data.
- Recommend methods to improve the validity and reliability of the data.
Note: The presentation should be a minimum of 16–20 slides, not including the title and reference slide. Your Assignment must be written in standard edited English. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Your Assignment should show effective application of triangulation of content and resources to show your conclusion and recommendations. See the Week 6 Assignment Rubric for additional requirements related to research and professional writing.
Assignment: Protecting Patient Data
You are tasked to analyze the use of information technology resources and assess the applicability to United General Hospital and the video scenario presented in this week’s Discussion. Your response to this assessment will be to write policy statements that address specific issues related to patient health care records and align with HIPAA regulations. Assess threats related to issues presented in the case study that United General Hospital must address.
Part I: Policy Manual Introduction (1–2 pages)
United General’s hospital administrator reviews the hospital’s policy manual and discovers that it inadequately addresses the area of patient records. The hospital administrator tasks you with reviewing the hospital policy manual and reporting on the thoroughness of its coverage of patient records. After a review of the policy manual, you report that the coverage of patient records is sparse and outdated. The hospital administrator then asks you to update the policy manual.
The policy manual introduction should include:
- An update to the manual’s introduction to include more depth in the area of patient records. As you write this section, describe the purpose of patient record protection and its importance to the organization.
- An explanation of the legal requirements for protecting patient health records.
Part II: Risk Assessment (3–5 pages)
Because Pete compromised Winnie’s patient records, the hospital administrator tasks you with identifying other potential risks that the hospital and the primary care physicians may need to address to protect patient records.
Your risk assessment should:
- Identify risks to both electronic and paper patient records, and recommend remedies United General can put in place to protect the records from compromise.
- Create policy statements that comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) regulations addressing access to and disclosure of electronic and paper patient records.
- Describe relevant training topics that will educate the staff on accessing and disclosing patient records.
Part III: Alignment with Regulatory Requirements (3–5 pages)
Winnie’s lawsuit refers to United General’s violation of patient record protection and privacy regulations as the prime cause of the problem. This has now opened United General to governmental inquiries as well as to federal lawsuits.
Write a 3–5 page APA style paper addressing the following:
- Review the requirements of the HIPAA regulations and identify areas in the case study that breached HIPAA regulations, remembering your analysis of the hospital’s policy manual—the policies applicable to patient record handling and disposal require an update to align with HIPAA regulations.
- Create policy statements that align with HIPAA regulations that address patient health care record handling and disposal.
- Describe relevant training topics for staff in order to educate them on the handling and disposal of patient records.
Part IV: Managerial Oversight (3–4 pages)
During Pete’s exit interview he states that he did not receive managerial direction or training in regard to accessing computer systems and online patient records. The hospital administrator reviews the management training manual and finds that the area detailing instructions that management needs to give to staff is sparse. The hospital administrator asks that you write a section of the management training manual to provide clear instructions for management oversight in the area of handling and accessing patient records. As part of managerial oversight of hospital staff, access to patient records should be restricted and only available to appropriate staff members. For instance, in this case study, Pete should not have had access to Winnie’s patient record.
This section of the management training manual should:
- Include clear instructions for management oversight in the area of handling and accessing patient records.
- Include policy statements for role-based security level access to patient records.
- Describe methods to set security levels for accessing patient records to support the policy statements.
Note: The paper should be 10–16 pages, not including the title and reference pages. Your Assignment must be written in standard edited English. Be sure to support your work with 4–6 specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the
Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure that your in-text citations and reference list are correct. Your Assignment should show effective application of triangulation of content and resources to show your conclusion and recommendations. See the Week 9 Assignment Rubric for additional requirements related to research and scholarly writing.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order now and Get 10% Discount! Use Code “Newclient”
The post Data Driven Decision Making appeared first on My Nursing Assignment.