Assignment 1a due today 10/11/2014
The following is a list of the most commonly abused substances:
- Hallucinogens such as LSD, or PCP or angel dust
- Stimulants, such as cocaine, nicotine, amphetamine, or methamphetamine
- Opiates such as heroin, opium, or codeine
Select one that you believe is most problematic for society, and discuss in detail why you believe this is the case.
What impact does this drug use or abuse have on the state of families in the U.S.?
Assignment 1b due Monday 10/13/2014
Substance Use Disorders
Read the following two case scenarios:
Initially, Jose used cocaine only on the weekends when he was out with friends. But now he uses it every day, even when alone. Jose spends nearly his entire paycheck on his cocaine use. His wife is threatening to divorce him, and he is close to being fired from his job for underperforming. Yet, he continues to use cocaine.
Steven suffers from Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity disorder. In order to help him focus better at work, Stevenâ€s doctor prescribed Adderall (amphetamine). Initially, Steven noticed an improvement in his concentration at work. After he had been taking Adderall for 6 months, however, recently he is starting to feel his concentration slipping again. He mentioned this to his doctor, and his doctor increased the dosage Steven was taking. He has also noticed that if he forgets to take his medicine, he is very tired, feels depressed, and has trouble sleeping.
Based on your readings, what is your viewpoint regarding Joseâ€s and Stevenâ€s substance use? Keep the following questions in mind while writing the paper:
- What category of substances do cocaine and amphetamine fall under, and what are the implications of this category on the body? Be sure to give the classification, DEA schedule, and physical effects.
- How is a substance use disorder diagnosed?
- Is Joseâ€s behavior evidence of a substance use disorder? Give a clear and thorough rationale for your response.
- Is Steven’s behavior evidence of a substance use disorder? Give a clear and thorough rationale for your response.
Before responding to the questions, read the information on this Web site:
Submit a two-three page paper in Microsoft Word
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.